Food and Drink:
You may not have anything to eat or drink after midnight before your surgery.
Do not drink alcohol for at least 12 hours before your arrival.
No smoking after midnight the night before your surgery.
Wear loose, casual, comfortable clothing to fit over dressings.
Notify The Center & Your Surgeon If:
- You have an elevated temperature, cough, cold, vomiting or diarrhea between your last visit to the surgeon and the day of your surgery. We do not want to operate on you while sick.
- You suspect you may be pregnant.
What You Need The Day Of The Surgery:
- Information To Bring: Insurance cards, photo ID, Medicare or Medical Assistance information, numbers and addresses. You may want a bag to place your clothes in while in surgery.
- Driver: You must plan to have someone drive you home. If you plan to use taxis or other public transportation, make sure you have an adult to accompany you.
- Escort: A friend, relative or dedicated caregiver must stay with you for 24 hours.
- Legal Guardian: A legal guardian must be in the center at all times for children and dependent adults.
- Care For Children: If you have young children at home for whom you normally care for, plan for someone else to care for them for at least the first 24 hours following your surgery.
- Interpreter: If the patient cannot read, speak English or use sign language, an interpreter is required. If you need assistance arranging for an interpreter, please contact the Scheduling department as soon as possible.
Avoid Surgery Cancellations:
We are very pleased that you have chosen to have your surgery at The Surgery Center at Doral . We will do everything we can to make your stay here as comfortable as possible. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call and speak with one of our nurses or the administrator.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight prior to surgery.
- We recommend you stop taking any anti-inflammatory medications 2 weeks before your surgery. ALWAYS confirm this with your surgeon. This includes Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, Naprosyn, Voltaren, etc. Notify us of any other medications you may be taking including homeopathic remedies.
- Plan to arrive at the center one hour and thirty minutes prior to your surgery unless told otherwise by the surgery center. You will be meeting with your anesthesiologist and preparing for your surgery during this time. Check in at the reception desk upon arrival and you will be directed from there. Please remember your insurance card and driver’s license. Surgery time is unpredictable, and you may end up waiting longer than anticipated, you may want to bring a book or computer (wifi available).
- We will be locking up your belongings while you are in surgery, but for security reasons, please do not bring valuables with you to the center, other than your credit card for payment.
- Do not wear jewelry or hair ornaments. Jewelry poses a safety hazard and the potential for loss.
- Upon discharge from the center you must have a ride home. We are required to discharge you with a responsible adult who is with you (it cannot be a cab driver).